The rules of the game are very simple. Essentially, all you have to do is pretend that you are a casting director unconstrained by such things as the limits of time and space (i.e., if you can imagine an actor or model or other such famous individual who would have perfect in a role many, many moons ago, that's no reason not to offer that person up as a choice) who has been given free reign to choose who to cast as certain SW EU characters, and respond to this challenge. If possible, please include a picture or a link to an appropriate picture of the person or persons being nominated for the role in question in your response, on the off chance that the person you're putting forth for consideration might be someone that others (including me) aren't as familiar with.
Personally, I do tend to take physical descriptions (i.e., height, build, hair color, eye color, etc.) in the written EU fairly seriously, but hair and eye color is alterable and somewhat negotiable no matter what since even specific colors come in a range of hues, so please don't let yourself be limited by the fact that so-and-so has dark hair and thus-and-such actor has light hair, since a bit of mental reimagining is all that's needed to fix such things. Also, you don't necessarily need to take any of the drawings/images of the characters from the comics or magazines or whathaveyou as sacred guidelines for the look of various characters. As those familiar with the films and with the comics and the Clone Wars cartoon are already aware, drawn Obi-Wan Kenobis rarely have much in common at all with the physical reality of how Obi-Wan looks in the movies. This is a good rule of thumb to go by for all other artistic representations, IMHO, unless those images specifically coincide with details given in a written description elsewhere in the EU or a physical appearance in the films, or are the result of an artist who has specifically created that character for the purposes of that strory and, therefore, the larger SW 'verse. Okay?
Please note: I'm asking for people to indulge and play partially because I'm curious, partially because the feedback I received from the first round of my "Who would you cast?" challenge gave me so many lovely ideas, and half because I'd like the massive AU version of the SW 'verse that I'm writing to be as close in spirit or feel (if not in circumstances/situations depicted) to what fans think of as the actual EU and/or canon as possible. Some of my character blurbs will therefore include some of the AU details of that 'verse. If these comments will affect the way you might visualize certain characters, please feel free to completely disregard them, since I'd like to start with the basic characters and work my way up to the AU, anyway. Alright?
Alrighty then! Casting is for the following EU characters:
1) Beru's younger sister Dama Whitesun Brunk. Given that Beru Whitesun Lars is only about six years older than Anakin Skywalker, Dama would be in her mid-twenties around the time of RotS, which is the timeperiod I'm mostly interested in. There's really no description of Dama in the EU - she appears in Tatooine Ghost (at which point she must be at least fifty, if not older, as Beru would have been approximately fifty-six at the time) but is described only as a "round-faced woman with dust-colored hair and a descert-scrubbed complexion." Logically, because "dust-colored" could indicate gray as well as a more sandy hue, it cannot be considered a reliable indication of Dama's original haircolor. Since Dama is a widow of long-standing in Tatooine Ghost, I do not plan on going to the trouble of creating a husband for her, aside from a name and perhaps a brief description. Instead, she will already be a widow by the time she shows up in the story. I am considering the possibility of modeling Dama on Jessica Alba, if this makes sense to others and no one has a better suggestion. There is a very brief article on Dama at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dama_Whi
2) A possible third sister (perhaps only a half-sister?) of Beru Whitesun Lars and Dama Whitesun Brunk, referred to by Luke in Children of the Jedi as his Aunt Coolie and present or referred to nowhere else in the EU. "Coolie" is likely a nickname and, as there is no real description of her in the text (other than a remark comparing her to Callista's Uncle Dro, who "hated to have a good time and didn't think anybody else should either") and no indication as to whether she is a full sister or only a half-sister or even step-sister of Beru's (and I have assumed that Coolie is an aunt of Luke through the Whitesun family, as Owen Lars is the only known child of Cliegg Lars, Anakin Skywalker is the only known child of Shmi Skywalker, and Luke would not discover the identy of his biological mother until he was in his mid fifties), Coolie might or might not physically resemble Beru or Dama in the slightest. I am considering making "Coolie" a nickname only and giving her a proper name, making her either a much younger half-sister or a much older step-sister of Beru and Dama, and modeling the result on Angelina Jolie. There is an extremely brief article on Coolie at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cool
3) Former Jedi Padawan Darsha Assant, a human orphan from Alderaan, about a year older than Obi-Wan Kenobi, with blonde hair and blue eyes, who wielded a yellow lightsaber. Darsha is killed in the EU, right before the Trade Federation invades Naboo and the events of TPM open, but this is not going to be what happened, exactly, in my version of events. Instead, she will have retired from the Jedi Order with Lorn Pavan and relocated to Tatooine, in or near Anchorhead, where they will eventually strike up a friendship with Dama Whitesun Brunk - and, through her, the Lars and the Skywalker families. There is a brief article on Darsha at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darsha_A
4) Lorn Pavan, a clean-shaven, black-haired, brown-eyed, handsom information broker and, erhm, scoundrel old enough that his first child, Jax, is a young Padawan apprentice during the time of the Clone Wars - possibly half a dozen to ten years older than Darsha Assant, though not necessarily that much older. Lorn, like Darsha, technically dies in the EU, right before the Trade Federation invades Naboo and the events of TPM open, but this is not going to be what happened, exactly, in my version of events. Instead, he will leave Coruscant with Darsha (leaving his droid friend, I-5YQ behind in the care of the Jedi, so as to watch over Lorn's very young son, Jax) and relocate to Tatooine, in or near Anchorhead, where they will eventually strike up a friendship with Dama Whitesun Brunk - and, through Dama, the Lars and the Skywalker families as well. There is a brief article on Lorn at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lorn_Pav
5) Ryoo Naberrie, the elder daughter of Sola Naberrie and Darred Janren, a girl with brown eyes and straight brown hair, whom I wish to imagine as a young woman rather the child that she is in the prequel films, for when she will be old enough to become a larger player in the world of my SW AU. (Ryoo will be receiving training as a Jedi Bendu in my AU, as will her father, for those who are interested. I've already "cast" Darred Janren. You can look at a fellow remarkably similar to how he looks at http://www.ioanonline.com/index.php?set
6) Pooja Naberrie, the younger daughter of Sola Naberrie and Darred Janren, a girl with very curly brown hair and brown eyes, whom I wish to imagine as a young woman rather the child that she is in the prequel films, for when she will be old enough to become a larger player in the world of my SW AU. (Pooja will be following her aunt Padmé into politics in my AU, just as she does in the EU, for those who are interested.) There is an article on Pooja at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pooja_Na
7) Raith Sienar, the head of Republic Sienar Systems (later Santhe/Sienar Technologies and later still Sienar Fleet Systems) and the actual source of the original design for what would be the Death Star. Sienar is described in the EU book Rogue Planet as being similar enough to Wilhuf Tarkin, at the time (four years after the event of TPM) that "they might have been brothers. Both were in their early thirties. Both were thin and wiry, with high-arching bony brows, piercing blue eyes, aristocratic faces, and attitudes to match." Although these are not completely reliable, drawings of Sienar in the EU indicate, though, that Sienar did not become gaunt as he aged, as Tarkin obviously does, given who plays him in the OT films. IMHO, Sienar should be played by a contemporary of Peter Cushing (who plays Tarkin in the OT movies), if possible, though if no one can think of anyone, I'm considering Andrew Keir. There is an article on Sienar at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Raith_Si
8) Nasdra Magrody, a brilliant human professor and engineer/scientist who was Force-sensitive enough to run experiments trying to measure its abilities scientifically and invented a chip that would eventually be surgically implanted into the brain of another Force-sensitive, allowing that boy to learn how to control droids and other such AI-brains by using the Force focused through the chip and concentratig on a detailed and accurate schematic of the machine in question. Magrody is not described very well in the EU, but the details would seem to indicate that he was old enough to already be graying and to have a wife and child when he was helping to work on the Death Star designs. He would therefore still be a young man around the time of RotS - possibly in his late twenties or early thirties. Any suggestions, anyone? There are no details about his physical appearance that I know of in the EU. There's an article on him at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nasdra_M
9) Margolis, the mother of Cray Mingla, who should be a teenager about the time of RotS, given that her daughter, Cray, is a trained (doctorate-level) and well-known brilliant scientist and a Jedi student of Luke's in the EU book Children of the Jedi. Given that Cray is described as "a tall, slim young woman - the blonde with the legs, Leia remembered Han's description, slightly envious of her elegant height, which made it possible for her to carry off fashions that Leia, a good eighteen centimeters shorter, knew were out of the question for herself" with brown eyes, it would be logical to assume that Margolis would be similar in appearance. (Please note: Cray's hair is very pale blonde. It's compared to ivory at one point, it's so pale.) There's an article on Cray at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cray_Min
10) Nichoas Marr, a blue-eyed male who should've been about the right age to be nearing the time when he'd be chosen as a Padawan around the time of RotS. There's a brief article on him at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nichos_M
11) Lagan Ismaren, the older brother of Roganda Ismaren, probably old enough to be chosen as a Padawan at the time of RotS. I would assume he has black hair and dark eyes, like his sister, but there's no real detail on his appearance in the EU. He and his sister are Alderaanian. There's an article on him at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lagan_Is
12) Roganda Ismaren, probably the same age as Nichos Marr, a youngling getting close to the age of apprenticeship, at the time of RotS. She and her brother, Lagan, are Alderaanian. She is described as being startlingly beautiful, graceful as a trained dancer, slender and small, almost childlike, with an exquisite oval face, slanted black eyes, and a complexion "the clear, pallorous white of those who live without sunlight, on starships, or underground, or on worlds like this where the only thin sunlight that leaked down through the mists had to be magnified by the crystal of the dome." There's an article on her at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Roganda_
13) While Whie Malreaux may already have been cast because of his brief appearance in the full version of RotS, Tallisibeth Enwandung-Esterhazy, better known by her nickname Scout, has not been. Scout is an athletic and pretty red-haired girl with green eyes of about fourteen years of age, probably not quite a full year older than Whie, and lovely enough that Whie (by all acounts a gentle, graceful, and naturally reserved boy) can't seem to forget just how lovely she is. There is an article on Whie at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tallisib
14) Hanna Ding, a hauty Arkadian (near-human) Padawan Scout's age, with white hair and white eyes. There is a brief article on her at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hanna_Di
15) Serifa Altunen, another Arkadian (near-human), a Jedi Knight described as "a tall, imperious woman with the snowdrift eyes of her species" who leaves the Order supposedly because she does not agree with the military role taken on by the Jedi during the Clone Wars. She is, presumably, at least thirty or so years of age. As with Hanna Ding, Arkadians of Serifa's particular type tend to be tanned, to have pure white hair and eyes, and to have only three fingers and a thumb to each hand (four digits in all). For those who are interested, I have plans for her and perhaps Hanna as well as bad guys. There is a brief article on her at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Serifa_A
16) Jax Pavan, who is described not at all in the EU but likely has dark hair and eyes, given his father's coloring. He should be about twenty during the time of RotS. There is an article on him at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jax_Pava
17) A'Sharad Hett, a human male Jedi raised among the Sandpeople of Tatooine, approximately twenty-eight at the time of RotS, with brown hair and brown eyes. There's an article on him at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A%27Shar
18) Dass Jennir, a human male Jedi Master of uncertain age wtih blond hair and blue eyes alternately drawn so that he resembles Legolas from the Lord of the Rings and Lucius Malfoy (portrayed by Jason Isaacs) from the Harry Potter films, who actually is the basis for another SW EU character, Tyber Zann, who won't be showing up in my AU (or at least not any time soon). I'm considering keeping the vaguely Legolas look but altering it to go with the blue eyes. Anyone remember if any of those blond elves had blue eyes? All the ones I remember have dark eyes. Or just know of some lovely tall, slim, blond, blue-eyed man who'd be appropriate? There's an article on Dass at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dass_Jen
19) Jedi Master Lo-Jad, about whom I know nothing but that he is male, a Master, the Master of Sia-Lan Wezz, and evidently either an archivist or a librarian or an educator of some sort at heart, given his preoccupation with the Royal House of Learning in Theed. I assume he is at least Obi-Wan's age, quite possibly up to five years older, and so would be about forty or so around the time of RotS. There's what amounts to a very brief blurb on him at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lo-J
20) Jedi Knight Sia-Lan Wezz of the infamous pink lightsaber, a blue-eyed, brown-haired young woman approximately five years older than Anakin Skywalker. There is an article on her at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sia-Lan_
21) Shadday Potkin, a female human Jedi Master and Senior General during the Clone Wars, described as having brown hair and eyes. I'm considering using Gina Torres as a model for her, though I can't make up my mind for sure. There's an article on her at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shadday_
And I'm sure there are more people than this, but at the moment I can't think of any more. If anyone knows of any other EU characters from this era I should be considering and who aren't listed under the first challenge, please let me know!
Speaking of the first challenge, Roan Shryne, Geith, Tru Veld, Garen Muln, Siri Tachi, Olee Starstone, Soara Antana and Ry-Gaul, Quinlan Vos, Chas Uliar, Jorj Car'das, Dean Jinzler (and possibly his sister Lorana, though I'm thinking Jewel Staite with darker hair and gray eyes, at the moment), An'ya Kuro or the Dark Woman, Darra Thel-Tanis, Aurra Sing and Asajj Ventress, and people like the Pressors are still at least semi-open, if anyone has an opinion they still want to share on any of those characters, since I'm yet to be entirely convinced about them.
Have fun! And please do comment! Seriously. I won't bite. Promise! Seriously. I won't bite. So have fun!!!